Binary Repository Management
A Binary Repository Manager is a software hub that simplifies the development process for different teams across an organization by helping them to collaborate on building coherent and compatible software components. It does this by centralizing the management of all the binary artifacts generated and used by the organization, thereby overcoming the incredible complexity arising from diverse binary artifact types, their position in the overall workflow and the set of dependencies between them.
Some of the many benefits of using a Binary Repository Manager are:
- Reliable and consistent access to remote artifacts.
- Reduced network traffic and optimized builds.
- Tight integration with build ecosystems.
- Custom handling of artifacts to comply with any organization’s requirements.
- Security and access control to artifacts and repositories.
- Manage licensing requirements and open source governance for use of software components.
- Distributing and sharing artifacts across an organization.
- System stability and reliability with high availability architecture.
- Smart search for binaries.
- Advanced maintenance and monitoring tools.
Cloud infrastructure has provided additional benefits. With the cloud, binary repositories can now:
- Enable replication and resiliency through the use of global data centers.
- Provide lower latency and improved network performance by being available closer to end-users.
- Provide their services at the edge of the network regionally and globally to edge devices.
- Utilize cloud storage for reduced costs, scalability and lower maintenance.
- Leverage cloud services such as security vulnerability databases to extend their functionality.